Saturday, March 8, 2008

International Women's Day

March 8th was International Women's Day, a day we don't really celebrate in the US, but I found out this is quite the holiday in the rest of the world. In Latvia they have been celebrating this day for the last 100 years (according to my host Dad). Basically on this day everyone gives flowers to the women in their lives honoring and thanking them for all that they do. They don't have Mother's Day here so this is the day that acknowledge women (which is a very patriarchal society is quite nice). According to my host Dad it was also celebrated during Soviet times but women still had to go to work. I thought well at least they got flowers one day year, even during the dreary days of the Soviet Union.

I walked past the main flower market, just down my street and it was packed with people buying red flowers (apparently the fashionable color). I took a picture so you can see how neat and colorful it looks.

No comments: