Sunday, January 6, 2008

Chopsticks

It was my host moms 55th birthday yesterday and to celebrate we had a formal dinner party at the apartment. For dinner they ordered in Sushi (from who knows where) and it was a very Asian meal (my host parents went to Nepal this November so they are really into Asian stuff right now). We started eating the sushi with forks and to me it felt very weird until my host remembered that they had chopsticks for everyone. I cannot even convey how hilarious it was to watch a bunch of Latvians trying to use chopsticks. Then they realized that I could use them so..I proceeded to try and explain in Latvian how to eat with chopsticks. It was absolutely hilarious. I ended up having to position them in numerous people's hands and then watched them try and try again to grasp the sushi (which was actually really good). It was one of those moments that made me thankful to be an American because I had been eating with chopsticks from the time my parents took us to Pee King Duck (I think that was the name of the restaurant) in Chinatown.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The funny thing about this is that, etiquette wise, its perfectly okay to eat sushi with your hands, (and even encouraged to be eaten this way depending on the type of sushi) so they could have totally avoided this whole fiasco. However i don't think that'd work out too well considering, at least from what i've noticed, Latvians have serious hang ups about eating with their hands. I mean, only in Latvia do they eat their mozerella sticks with a fork and a knife and look at you like you're crazy if you drink juice out of the bottle.