Saturday, June 28, 2008

Independence Day.......American Style

I heard the entire year about the US Embassy's legendary Independence Day bash and I was very happy that it was scheduled for the end of June instead of actually on July 4th (because I will be in Spain then). It did live up to its reputation of free food, beer and a huge American birthday cake! There was McDonald's and gourmet hot dogs from the Raddisson hotel..but the longest line was not for American food but for šašliks, a skewered meat on a stick that is originally from the Caucuses but really popular in Latvia. It was such a huge event that I think I also saw almost every American I know living in Latvia so it was a great time to catch up with everyone before I leave. I also talked briefly with the US Ambassador who mentioned that he enjoyed reading my blog, so I guess I do have a dedicated (and famous) readership after all!

Happy Birthday America!
The Ambassador giving his Independence Day speech.
A balloon display that spelled out USA (if you can see it through the other person who was taking a photo).

No comments: