Saturday, June 14, 2008

June 14th

Today was one of the Victims of Communism Genocide Memorial Days in Latvia (the other is March 25). On this day in 1941 15,424 deported on were deported to Siberia and other regions of the Soviet Union, of these 46.5 percent were women, and 10 percent were children below the age of 10. While this number might not seem very big to many Americans it was huge for a nation of 2 million people. Additionally, the people that were targeted during this deportation were the intelligentsia and other people considered to be unreliable or dangerous to the totalitarian Communist regime. I went to the Occupation Museum today to take part in the memorial. I was chatting with some of my former colleagues (I worked at the museum in the summer of 2005) in English and this lady came up to us and started telling us that she was deported at the age of 7 to Siberia. She asked my friend to translate and I said I spoke Latvian so she continued telling me her story and how some of her family members didn't survive the deportation. She said that because I was a foreigner it was important for me to understand what the Latvians had gone through. It was really one of those experiences that I will remember for the rest of the my life. Here are the pictures from the memorial day.



The president's speech
Flower laying

1 comment:

Ivan Zuravlov said...

Hello, Laura. Living in Latvia for quite long time, you might have noticed that the big part of population are Russians (about 30% in whole country and about 50% in Riga). Our governement is at so called war with Russian part of people and they always try to show their hate by setting useless laws, such as education only in Latvian, fines for menus at cafes in Russian etc. This museum is one of these cases. Some elder people are just going mad on the nationality topic. I don't know if your teller was hating Russians or Soviet Union, but most of the this about the occupation period are truly exxagerated. Besides, there are photos where Latvian people made some kind of meeting, holding posters "We insist on joining the Soviet Union". And now instead of improving economics and standard of living, governement is dealing with theese nationality "problems". Every year governement allows the Fascist (!) Demonstration and tries to stop people from coming to the memorial of Soviet soldiers, who have set Latvia free of Nazists. So Latvia have created its own history to make Latvia look like a sufferer. Our Baltic neighbours Estonia and Lithuania are not preoccupied with this and their living is much better then ours. So what I'm trying to say is not that SU was good, but that it was not SO bad as Latvian Officials are telling.

Ivan
Student
Riga
vanzur@inbox.lv