Tuesday, February 5, 2008

America!

Living in Latvia has really given me a true appreciation for the United States. The first time I studied here I saw the US in a different light...one that was not so flattering. But after living here again I really have developed an appreciation for my native land. So I made of list of the things I really appreciate about America living here in Latvia.
1. Service with a Smile. While many people think the fact that Americans smile all of the time is fake I would take a fake American smile over the frown that seems to permeate Latvian society any day. Also the fact that Americans say please and thank you all the time is such a nice gesture...in Latvia if you thank someone they just look at you like what is wrong with you.
2. Free Refills. This is probably one of the reasons why we are overweight in the US but I must admit I sometimes have to order two drinks because I am still thirsty after the first one. Plus the portions are much smaller here which is sometimes nice but for drinks is always leaving me wanting more. Plus you can't (or at least I don't) drink the water in Latvia so ordering table water is out of the question.
3. Ice Cold Beverages. You would think that since the weather is cold outside that the beverages might as least be cool during the winter..Um no in fact I think they are warmer. I search and search sometimes digging to the back of the drink cooler for a cold juice but it seems to always allude me for some reason. I have actually starting putting beverages in between my window panes to keep them cold because my host parents wonder why I want to refrigerate juice.
4. Fast Food. Something kind of interesting about this is that I rarely go to fast food especially McDonald's in the US (unless its for breakfast). But I probably go once a month in Latvia whenever I am feeling homesick. However when one goes to McDonald's in the US they expect the food to be fast..and usually the whole wait, order and get food time is less than 10 minutes. However here in Latvia not only is McDonald's really popular which adds to the wait time but then they are really in no hurry to get you your food. I clocked it once because I wanted to go and see a movie afterwards and I waited close to 30 minutes in line just to order. So I miss fast food actually being fast!
5. Choosing my own seat. In the US we have the freedom to sit wherever we want. In Latvia and maybe the rest of Europe when you go to a movie you have to choose your seat. Plus we we see movies we try not to sit right next to someone we don't know unless the theater is full. Well in Latvia they cram everyone, even if there is only like 10 people in a theater made for 100, right next to each other. So you almost always have the awkwardness of having to sit uncomfortably close to someone you don't know. They do this on the airlines too even if the flight is half full I am always sitting right next to someone and they think its weird when you want to move.

1 comment:

Mara said...

I've heard about the cold beverage and seating things in other European cultures, too. Like you have to specifically ask for ice in your water in France, and in some countries people will sit right next to you on the bus, even if the rest of the bus is empty. It's kind of nice in a way, that people would prefer to socialize rather than pretend everyone else doesn't exist like we do in Seattle. But I agree that it's weird if you're not used to it, and it doesn't make as much sense in Latvian culture, which seems even more reserved than Seattle.