Saturday, February 9, 2008

Samples

I remember when I was little and a trip to the grocery store was greatly improved when it was sample day. In my family getting something for free is kind of a cherished thing so getting free food is always a good thing. So you can imagine my surprise when I went to the Rimi grocery store in old town this past weekend and found out it was sample day. In the US on sample day you get free food and maybe if your lucky some kind of sugary juice drink. Well on Latvian sample day they give out alcohol for free! They were just giving away shots of vodka (some gross Russian concoction that when said in Russian sounded like original by apparently meant something different) and pickles to wash it down. My north American friends and I could not believe our eyes...and of course all around the booth were questionably old enough teenage boys trying to get as many shots as they could for free. Needless to say I passed up the opportunity to get something for free for once in my life.

No comments: