Friday, February 1, 2008

Singing the Blues in Latvia


On Friday I was invited to hear American Blues music at the only Blues Club in Riga as part of the kick off to African American History month. It was pretty cool I got to sit right by the ambassador on her last official day of work and the music was great. The singer was from Mississippi so she had a deep southern drawl to her voice and I really don't know how all the Latvians could understand her but I thought she was pretty funny. Also Latvia is not the most diverse country so strategically placed in the audience was practically every minority in the entire country. But the most hilarious thing about the whole experience was that the band looked like a bunch of 12 year old boys who could actually play and sing the blues.

1 comment:

Mara said...

That sounds like fun ... but I find it strange that Latvia acknowledges African American Month. I wonder if other countries do that too.