Monday, October 29, 2007

Babysitting

After reading the title I am sure more of you, as the insightful readers that you are, are going to think this story is about me taking care of a bunch of Latvian kids. The closest thing I have come to that is entertaining my professors kids at dinner last night. No this story has nothing to do with that.
I was walking down the street today when I saw outside of one of the expensive designer shops an equally posh baby carriage and inside was a little sleeping baby...where was its mother you ask? I assume that she was inside of the store shopping and left her baby outside in 10 degree weather (Celsius) by itself. Hopefully she put the wheel brake on!
I have actually seen this a couple times before today and it still baffles me. I mean you see kids walking around the streets by themselves at all hours of the day and night....when they should probably be in school and baby carriages left outside of shops. My American professor doesn't let her children cross the street by themselves and I really don't blame her. Its scary for me sometimes trying to navigate the cobblestones in ice with cars barreling down the streets at 50 mph. It all kind of makes you wonder are the parents in Latvia?

No comments: