Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Why Latvian?

Ever since I started studying Latvian, people have always asked me why would do you study Latvia? Its a small country of little to no importance to which I have no family ties. My brother posted an interesting article that I thought I should share with you all. He found it in BusinessWeek and it says that the demand for translations into Latvian grew faster than any other translation request over the last year. I finally feel justified in my decision..and dedicate this blog post to all those people who thought what in the world are you going to do with Latvian? Thanks Mike for showing me that my Latvian skills are marketable at last!

4 comments:

W said...

Isn't being having been considered good enough for a Fulbright grant/scolarship/whatever it is, a good enough indication that you have quite marketable skills/abilities?

Matt Flaten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt Flaten said...

I think it was a joke.

Yvette Viets Flaten said...

Oh Laura, I can relate:

How many times have I had to answer the: Why would you want to write a novel about the Roman army? Write a poem about a sunrise? Attend a poetry reading, Talk to a new poet?

The answer is, Why not? And the askers seldom get it, because in the very asking, they've answered so much for and by themselves.

Pax
Y.