Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's just fish....

Last night my host parents had a couple of their friends over to the house. I was reading in my room and my host dad asked if I would like to join them. They handed me a bunch of food and I started eating. As I was eating I looked more closely at what I was eating and realized that it was cooked mushrooms....so it turns out that I finally ate Latvian mushrooms and I must admit they were not at all that bad.
But the story does not end there. Then they started passing around some appetizers. When then finally got to me I looked down and realized what they were about to eat. My host mom was like do you know what that is and unfortunately I did know. As I wrote before I always learn the words for food I do not like and this word was right up there with the mushrooms....it was eel. My host mom was like don't you want to try some it is a delicacy in Latvia........and she added it costs a lot of money. I sucked it up and took one cut it into three pieces and hoped for the best. As I ate it with all of the people in the room watching me, I thought this is why people travel to other countries, to learn and try new things......and it turns out eel did taste a lot like fish.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was it really eel or lamprey (negi)? I did try negi while i was there, but it was smoked so it kind of just tasted like smoked salmon. Except not delicious.