Monday, April 21, 2008

Flowers

Latvians are perpetual flower givers....they give flowers for every occasion and even have a 24 hour flower market just in case you need emergency flowers at 3 am. At my Name's Day party I received a number of very nice flowers, and the bouquets seem to be growing every day as more and more people give me flowers. Its funny because I always tell Matt not to waste his money on buying me flowers because they just die but for some reason in Latvia is seems very special. Maybe this is because its part of the culture or because you can actually buy flowers here at a reasonable price. Latvians even have cultural faux pas concerning the giving of flowers. For example you can never give an even number of flowers, as it is considered to be a sign of bad luck. You only give an even number for funerals and in sympathy bouquets. Also you never give red roses to someone (especially if you are a man) unless you are interested in them romantically (one of my professors had the unfortunate experience of making this mistake at a colleagues dinner party and the man thought he was making a pass at his wife). Also think twice before giving yellow flowers to someone you love as for some people they symbolize decrease of love and jealousy.

My Name's Day Flowers

No comments: