Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Directions Please....

I get asked directions all the time here in Latvia. I don't know if its because I look like a local (doubt it) or that I look like a nice person (probably more likely) or that I look very knowledgeable (I like to think its a combination of the three). Today I got asked directions in Russian. At first I gave them my I don't speak Russian phrase which I have memorized and perfectly conjugated but then I realized that I actually understood what they were asking me. It was one of those language moments that everyone who has studied a language is familiar with. What I like to call the light bulb moment when you can actually understand something in a foreign language. Except the thing is I haven't been studying Russian since I got here (only Latvian) but have managed to pick up a lot on the streets and TV. I guess this whole immersion thing has helped me with two languages instead of just one.

No comments: