Sunday, September 30, 2007

Chivalry is not dead!

Last night was my American-Latvian friends' last night in Riga so we went out to celebrate. At the end of the night we were walking home with one her Latvian male friends when I said OK we are two blocks away from my house I will see you later. Her friend was like no you can't walk by yourself and I thought well I am an independent American women yes I can walk the two blocks to my house. However he insisted and I finally gave up my feminist notions and let them walk me two blocks out of their way to my house. Then when we were across the street I thanked them for walking me home and said I can take it from here. We said our goodbyes and I crossed the street. As I punched the code to my building I looked back and noticed that they were still standing there. Apparently he needed to make sure I reached my door safely. I thought this story was funny because an American guy would never do that but yet all these Latvian women are looking to marry rich foreigners. So Ladies if you are looking for men to hold open doors for you and walk you home Latvia is the place for you!

3 comments:

Matt Flaten said...

I think I know one American guy who would walk you to your door...

Yvette Viets Flaten said...

Hello Laura!

I love your blog. When it's quiet at work (pretty much always these days) I read your words.

Great insights! The looking in the eyes during the toast is like the Swedish routine when they say Skol! and you have to drink the drink of Aquavit. Same idea.

I think it's great that you did the ferry to Stockholm. I'm glad your are taking opportunities to do as much as possible.

I look forward to your next post.
Yvette

Unknown said...

I would do that for a woman. But only if she had big tits.