Friday, September 7, 2007

MANGO

Since I arrived in Latvia I have been kind of trying to avoid speaking Latvian. It makes me nervous and people always know I am foreigner because of my accent and so on. Last night I was telling Matt this and he yelled "Going to MANGO isnt going to make you learn Latvian!" Because I went shopping with one of my American friends rather than studying or speaking Latvian. So today I went to a conference on the mass media in Latvia (which was in Latvian) and even talked to a former member of parliament in Latvian. Sometimes its nice to have someone to remind of the great opportunity I have by being here and that I better make the most of my time here. Thanks Matt for making me appreciate it all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm Latvian. Don't know whether 27 years of age is considered old or young, but I have to say I have been thinking exactly the same thing, but still havent found the answer! I just assume those must be russians or tourists.. if they r Latvians, they must be undereducated morons or something.. :S pardon my language!
Recently I saw a guy comming from some kind of petition against war in Iraq with a poster "Stop occupation of Iraq" but at the same time he was wearig a soviet army hat! I was sooo mad about his ignorance.. since I strongly believe that communist symbols should be forbidden the same way as nazzi's swastika.
However, Russia or the West are never going to agree with this, are they? ... ogh!