Saturday, September 22, 2007

Latvian Stalking

I have noticed walking around the streets of Riga that people really don't like it when you follow them. Probably just another remnant from communist times, but still its pretty funny. Today I was walking behind this women and she started nervously looking around for about a half a block and then suddenly stopped short and moved to the curb, probably to see if I would stop as well. It is just really interesting because the concept of personal space here and in Europe is very different from America. I mean people stand uncomfortably close to you everywhere on the tram, in the grocery store, even on the street but if you follow them even at a distance they freak out. This incident made me realize two things 1) I would make a horrible spy and 2) Stalking someone in Latvia is frowned upon but invading their personal space everywhere else is just another fact of life.

No comments: