Monday, March 10, 2008

The Doctor's Office

I hurt my knee a couple of months back and because I am planning on running the half marathon in May I thought I should get it checked out before I start training. I looked and asked around for the best place to go and finally found a private clinic with a doctor who spoke English (I feel that for health related problems its always best to speak in English, even though as I found out many of the terms are the same). She was very nice and her husband is even a famous Latvian politician which for some reason made me feel better.
So I went to doctor today to have it looked it. The office was very nice and instead of taking my weight and asking medical like questions I just sat in the room and waited for the doctor. She came in, said what seems to be the problem and then was like ok well let me take a look at your knee. I thought that her and her assistant would get up and leave the room so I could take off my leggings (because thank god I planned ahead and wore a skirt). Nope they just sat there and watched as I tried to take of my leggings without flashing them. Then I sat there with my leggings around my knees (because I was also wearing knee high boots) as she examined my knee and then consequently watched while I tried to pull my tights back up. Living here has really made me realize what a prudish American I really am. I mean almost every play I have seen has had naked people in it..on the beach there are always naked people and in the saunas. It always takes some getting used to me having grown up in a catholic family. After my doctor's appointment today I can't help but imagine what a gynecological exam in this country might be like. Yikes! On the plus side as I left I saw the former president Vaira Viķe-Freiberga walking her dog in the park..it was all very surreal.

No comments: