Friday, March 28, 2008

Saeima

Today I got to go on a tour of the Saeima, the Latvian parliament, with the people from the US embassy. While I have been there before for speeches and other things it was especially interesting for me because I got to see where all my favorite and not so favorite people in Latvian politics, sit during parliamentary sessions. Plus I got to learn some of the history of the building and the many governments the building has hosted since it was built in 1863.

Me outside the main entrance
The main entrance hall
A gift from the US to the Republic of Latvia with the words to the Latvian national anthem
The Red Hall (I gave my speech for the Council of Europe in this room)
A big Latvian candle representing the three historic regions of Latvia with coat of arms from the cities.
The room where the magic happens!
Me with the speaker's desk in the background, the Latvian coat of arms and the flag.

No comments: