Friday, March 21, 2008

Egg Dyeing

A bunch of my foreign friends (meaning not Latvian) and I got together to dye eggs Latvian style. The Latvian way is much more natural using berries, onion peels and rice to decorate and color them. It was really fun to have all of these girls from different countries coming together to do something Latvian. After you dye the eggs then you have a contest where you smash the eggs together to see whose egg is stronger.

Wrapping the eggs and unwrapping the jelly beans my mom sent me from the US.
Boiling the eggs....we used blueberries and beets to color some purple (my favorite color).
We also made piragi, little meat filled pies, which are my favorite Latvian food.
The end result....lots of interesting all-natural colors.

3 comments:

Matt Flaten said...

Wow, those eggs look cool!

Unknown said...

I like your purple eggs! I had never thought of that before.

Unknown said...

Hi there! Your blog is great! I am an American-Latvian in Chicago and have truly enjoyed reading your adventures. I found you on accident! Your ex-professor, Guntis, is actually an acquaintance of mine. His sister and I went through Latvian schools together; I attended his wedding, and a couple summers ago, Guntis's two boys attended Latvian summer camp in WA state with my daughter, Lilija.

So, all that history aside, how did you get your Easter eggs so blue and purple?! I have tried so many times and failed. Please give me your secrets for the dying you did!Also, how did you get the green? ~Anita