Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Estonian Lettuce

Since my host parents are out of town this week I tried to load up on the American food since I could have an infinite amount of time in the kitchen. I decided one day that I would make a salad. Seems easy enough right. When I got home from the store I realized that I had bought more than I bargained for.

Here is a picture of the lettuce (which was grown in Estonia) that I bought in the store (looks normal right?)

When I opened up the package I realized that the lettuce came in the pot (and dirt) it had grown in. I don't know if this is to keep the lettuce fresh or if Latvians really go home and continue to grow the lettuce. They say in America we are really separated and distant from the food that we eat (in growing and production), after this experience I don't think thats such a bad thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha! hun, it's because u bought a lettuce for growing, not for eating! u could have also bought just normal salad without the pot, but this one was ment to be put in ur garden/veg patch for growing! it's the same as going to a market to buy an apple-tree instead of the apples! ;)