Saturday, March 1, 2008

Put, Vejini (Blow, Wind)

Today I saw one of the most famous plays from Latvia, Put Vejini (Blow, Wind) by Rainis the Shakespeare of Latvian prose. The play was about two star crossed lovers and their attempts to be together. In the end instead of hurting her sister, the heroine sacrifices herself and drowns, it is really a beautiful but tragic ending. I have really never read a Latvian play that has a happy ending which I think speaks volumes about Latvian culture but still despite the depressing content it is probably the best play I have ever seen. They had this Darwinian montage where the actors were at a museum and they came on stage and got dressed in their costumes. Plus if you look at the pictures below we were seated on the stage very close to the action so it made everything much more dramatic. In the end the only thing I didn't like was the audience interaction (they literally came into the audience and started talking to people).


No comments: